Cheryl M. Burtzel Partner
Cheryl Burtzel represents commercial, financial institution, utility, healthcare and technology clients on a wide range of commercial and compliance matters including privacy, cybersecurity, sales and distribution, government contracts, and procurement. As a former in-house counsel and legal director for a Global Fortune 50 company, she has years of experience leading cross-functional global teams in complex transactions, policy development and implementation, and crisis management. She has managed and directed commercialization of research from university research institutions as well as government contracts, healthcare industry compliance and technology matters.
Practice AreasCorporate & Commercial Transactions Credit Union Representation Energy & Public Utilities Technology Law
- Vice Chair, Cyberspace Law Committee, Business Law Section, American Bar Association (“ABA”)
- Co-Chair, State & Local Procurement Committee, ABA Public Contract Section
- Selected Speaking Engagements:
- Privacy and Security: U.S. Practitioner Perspectives, Symposium on International Perspectives in Cyberspace Law: Privacy, Security & Governance, Creighton University School of Law, September 18, 2018.
- Autonomous Car Crashes – Who or What Dunnit? Will IP and Cybersecurity Lawyers Replace PI Lawyers in Sortin’ Out the Legal Issues?, 2018 ABA Business Law Section Annual Meeting, September 13-15, 2018 (Topic: Cybersecurity).
- The Development of a Health Innovation Ecosystem, INVENTURE$ 2018, Calgary, Canada, June 5-8, 2018 (Topic: Cybersecurity and Supply Chain).
- Data Privacy Basics for Business Lawyers: Spotting the Critical Issues, Business Law Basics Webinar, ABA Business Law Section, May 31, 2018
- Navigating Demands for Ransom and Other Ethical Challenges in Cyber Investigations, ABA Business Law Section Cyberspace Winter Working Meeting, January 25-27, 2018.
- Cybersecurity/Information Security – Lessons for State and Procurement Attorneys and Professionals, ABA Section on Public Contract Law et al., Spring Conference, April 27-28, 2017.
- Current Issues in Public Private Partnerships (P3) for State and Local Procurement, ABA Section on Public Contract Law et al., Spring Conference, April 27-28, 2017
- Selected Publications:
- Author, Chapter on Negotiating the Exit – Ensuring Successful Transition, in Cloud 3.0: Drafting and Negotiating Effective Cloud Computing Agreements (Book to be published by the ABA Business Law Section 2019)
- Co-Author, Cheryl M. Burtzel et al., ABA Cybersecurity Legal Task Force Vendor Contracting Project: Cybersecurity Checklist, Business Law Today, November 2016 at p.28 (updated as of April 13, 2017 and published online at: https://www.americanbar.org/groups/public_services/law_national_security/cybersecurity.html). Publisher: American Bar Association.
- Author, Texas Law Summary, 2nd Edition, ABA Guide to State Procurement: A 50-State Primer on Purchasing Laws, Processes, and Procedures, ©2016 American Bar Association
- Juris Doctor, The University of Texas School of Law
- Bachelor of Arts and Bachelor of Business Administration, The University of Texas at Austin
PROFESSIONAL AND LEGAL AFFILIATIONS
- State Bar of Texas
- American Bar Association
- Fellow, American Bar Association