James McNally Senior Counsel
Mr. McNally has represented an array of electric, gas and telecommunications utilities, as well as other regulated entities, before regulatory agencies in Texas, Louisiana and Oklahoma. He also counsels clients concerning licensing, compliance, and regulatory aspects of commercial transactions.
- Lead outside counsel representing electric utilities in rate cases and generation plant certification cases.
- Lead outside counsel in obtaining regulatory approval from the Public Utility Commission of Texas for electric utility holding company’s sale of retail electric providers in Texas.
- Represented Texas electric utilities in various contested rate and merger proceedings before the Public Utility Commission of Texas.
- Handled federal income tax issues, including normalization issues and questions regarding the treatment of accumulated deferred federal income taxes, in a number of contested proceedings, including rate, transition to competition, and stranded cost proceedings.
- Represented Texas electric utilities in obtaining various certificates of convenience and necessity from the Public Utility Commission of Texas for transmission line facilities.
- Represented numerous applicants in contested case proceedings for greyhound and horse racetrack licenses issued by the Texas Racing Commission.
- Represented the industry’s largest manufacturer of electronic bingo equipment before the Texas Lottery Commission on a variety of legal issues, including contested case proceedings, compliance questions, and licensing matters.
- Represented the industry’s largest licensed charitable bingo commercial lessor before the Texas Lottery Commission on a variety of licensing, rulemaking and compliance issues.
- University of Houston Law Center (J.D., Order of the Coif) 1985
- The University of Texas at Austin (M.P.A.) 1980
- Trinity College, Hartford, Connecticut (B.A.) 1978
PROFESSIONAL AND LEGAL AFFILIATIONS
- ABA Section of Public Utility, Communications & Transportation Law
- American Bar Association, Public Utility, Communications and Transportation Section
- State Bar of Texas
- Public Utility Section
- Administrative and Public Law Section